Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Jesus Used the Boy's Snack - Day 36

The boy was out for a day of fishing. He took along his lunch to keep him for the day. He got to the shore and noticed a great throng of people. He wedged his way into the middle of the crowd to see what was going on. There he is with his fishing rod, his bait, his little net, and his lunch.
He saw Jesus. He didn’t know who Jesus was. But he saw him and he listened to him. He then heard Jesus say that his followers needed to feed all the folks. And then he heard them protest that there was no way they could do that—there were too many folks; there was not enough food.
At some point in the midst of all this wrangling the boy found Andrew or Andrew found the boy. At some point the boy’s snack was offered to Jesus. At some point Jesus took the boy’s snack, said the prayer, broke the bread, sliced the fish, and fed the multitudes.
We always talk about the miracle of Jesus feeding the five thousand; and yes, that kind of multiplication is a miracle. But how about the gift of the boy—let us not lose track of him. Without him and his snack and his willingness to offer all he had, Jesus wouldn’t have had the “goods” to do his miracle.
I have always felt very close to this boy. No, I never relished going out to fish for a day, but I, like him, and like the disciples, have felt the gap between what I had to give and what needed to happen. Sometimes, unlike this boy, I didn’t offer my gift because I felt so inadequate about it. I wonder how I have let people go hungry in my life because I walked away and kept my lunch to myself, either because I simply didn’t want to share or because I felt like my gift would never be enough.
With Jesus it is. Your gift is enough. So, be like the boy. Your snack, your life, your gift, your offering is enough. Just give it. Don’t judge youself and/or your gift. If Jesus could feed the multitudes with the boy’s snack just imagine what he could do with what you have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment