Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Jesus Likes Doughnuts - Day 2

Yes, I know that this is a clever heading, but I am trying to get your attention. So often I hear people say that they are giving up doughnuts or chocolate or ice cream or…for Lent. I think most such "deprivations" are rather silly. I think most such "sacrifices" trivialize Lent, and completely miss the point of what Jesus has done for us.
It says in the gospel of Luke that "when the days drew near for him to be taken up, he [Jesus] set his face to go to Jerusalem." (9:51) Jesus gives up his life for us and we give up doughnuts for him. That now sounds silly to you too, doesn’t it?
So, let us get real. I am all for giving things up, but what do you need to give up that gets in the way of you following Jesus, being Jesus for others, loving like Jesus, forgiving like Jesus, trusting like Jesus, and making disciples for Jesus? Fear would be one. Worry and anxiety would be others. Lack of faith or of courage, they, too, would work.
It is easier to give up doughnuts than giving up control. But don’t fool yourself and certainly don’t try to fool Jesus. He would rather have your life than your doughnut abstinence. Don’t give up doughnuts for Jesus. He doesn’t want them. Give up something that will actually change your life.

6 comments:

  1. My lenten commmitment is to give the Lord a break. For forty days, I intend to not once ask Him for what I want (as if he doesn't know by now). Instead, I'll pray to more faithfully live the life He wants me to live, whether it's what I want or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim - your speaking right to me. I usually "give up" sugar, or coffee of something trivial. This year I'm working on being less cynical. My husband said - good luck with that! There's already an office pool as to when I will crack. Hopefully, after Lent, I will have broken this bad habit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was trying to talk with Olivia (my 7 year old) about Lent and the reason that we give things up or take them on during these 40 days. For me, it's in the struggle that we should reach for Jesus. Instead of cracking, and reaching for the doughnut (or whatever it is), we should be reminded of what Jesus gave up for us and lean into Him to satisfy our cravings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that giving up something like donuts can be trivial. However, I do think that for some that gesture can have big consequences. If I give up donuts and add exercise by the end of Lent maybe I am closer to God because my body is healthier and a better vehicle for doing God's work and a new and better living habit has been co-created. I think the trivializing of Lent comes when the gesture we make, we make because it's Lent and we feel compelled to do something rather than prayerfully looking at what we do in our daily lives that doesn't honor our relationship with God. Regardless of what we give up or add, none of matters in the end if God is not invited into the process and journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the substantive suggestions of things to give up. Satan makes it very easy to be too much a creature of this world. I need to re-read The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say that giving up my glass of wine at night (... or more than one sometimes) has been just the thing to clear my head, stop me from using that as an anesthetic to any emotional pain and let me get closer to Jesus to work through it.
    Giving up can be very powerful .... so don't dismiss the power of this approach.

    ReplyDelete