Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Jesus Didn't Like Grandstanding Piety (Ash Wednesday)

In today’s gospel lesson (Mt. 6: 1-6, 16-21) Jesus says, "Beware of practicing your piety before others in order to be seen by them; for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven."
What are we to do with this admonition on the day when many of us will be walking around with ashes on our foreheads?
I think what Jesus is saying in this scripture is that we must do our piety, our acts of ritual, our worship, for our souls and for our connection with God and not for anyone else. He doesn’t want us to play Pious-Peter or Holier-than-Thou-Holly.
Jesus also doesn’t want us to divorce any pious acts or observances from real and significant inner transformation and soul-changing. If we go through our rituals and they don’t change us, then something is missing. If we go through our rituals and we are not impacted, then we are playing magic and we give no glory to God.
Today, with the ashes on your forehead—what will change for you? How will thinking about your mortality help you to change some aspect of your life? How do you need to turn around, make amends, surrender, say that you're sorry, say thank you, give praise? Let the ashes prompt real questions and real commitment.

3 comments:

  1. How do I need to turn around? Make amends? Surrender?

    How is it that God knew I needed to ask myself these questions? This is not what I wanted to read when I came out here to check out the technical setup and see what Jim was up to...

    Ok, so I'm signing up to follow this every day and deal with whatever comes my way. Hope everyone will join in the reading and the dialogue.

    I'm booked solid in meetings all day Ash Wednesday, but I will have these questions on my agenda, and I know already will have opportunity to surrender, make amends and turn around. Have a bad feeling that I'm going to have to surrender my anger about a recent corporate move that I fought very hard to avoid.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashes and acts are for my soul, my relationship to God and for transforming me. And perhaps in the course of all that to be used to help touch and transform others.The questions of "What will the ashes change for me?" Is a good one. I'll have to ponder that... maybe all will come clear once the ashes have been imposed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to a church where there were tissues and water by the door. Ashes were washed away when you left, yet somehow they were still there....

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete